It’s one of the most incredible sites we’ve transformed. Reaching 30m ceilings to replace the high-level lights was not for the faint-hearted.
An industrial facility – with large industrial bays, 24/7 operations, high ceilings – required a highly tailored lighting design.
For the most comfortable working conditions, we always design to achieve optimum light levels for the defined purpose. A standard office needs 300 lux of light. Areas where engineers are working on specialised tasks, like assembling engines, require 1000 lux at the working level.
We maintained constant communications with the site staff and included extra H&S precautions. We prioritised delivering the project with the least amount of disruption to Siemens 24/7h operations and preventing any damage to machinery.
Siemens factory lighting installation highlights:
- CILS completed the installation of an LED lighting upgrade and the Enlighted control system in all 15 areas.
- On the Enlighted smart system, every light fitting has its own processor, memory, and upgradeable software. Meaning motion, power consumption, ambient light levels and temperature can all be monitored and proactively managed.
- The Enlighted lighting control system measures the actual energy consumption of the installed fittings. This simplified the measurement & verification process – essential to the delivery of an EPC.
- We set up the system ready to integrate BMS (building management systems like heating) with a simple plug load controller.
Lighting controls example in one of the bays;
- If sensors do not record any activity for 30mins, the lights in the high bay areas will revert to the unoccupied level of 150 lux.
- When the sensors detect presence, the lights revert to the defined ‘occupied’ lux level (not maximum output).
- The high-bay sensors also ‘harvest’ any available daylight and adjust light levels accordingly.
- Nominated staff were given access to control the lighting via the BMS upon completion.
- Where necessary, individual staff needs can define the lighting control settings.
- Data confirms that the implemented lighting controls system has improved LED efficiency by 88%.